National EMS Memorial
On August 10, 2010, the Kentucky EMS Memorial Foundation LLC was registered with the Kentucky Secretary of State as a Non-Profit Limited Liability Company for the purpose of establishing a permanent physical Kentucky EMS Memorial.
The Foundation created their first board on Sept. 8, 2011 and has selected Juniper Hills Park in Frankfort for the memorial's location. The board is now working towards IRS 501(c)(3) status as a tax exempt charitable company, selecting a design, writing honoree selection criteria, and commencing fund raising efforts so that Kentucky can properly honor the men and women of Kentucky's EMS system who have made the ultimate sacrifice and given their lives in the line of duty.
The foundation's Board of Directors are:
- [Vacant], representing the Kentucky Board of EMS
- Eric Johnson, representing Supporting Heroes
- Michael Sutt (Chair), representing the public sector
- Randy Fathbruckner, representing the private sector
- Shannon Adkins, representing citizen at large
- [Vacant], representing Survivors
- Dan Durham (Secretary), at-large representative
- John Hultgren (Vice Chair), at-large representative
- Scott Adkins, at-large representative
The National EMS Memorial is located at the To The Rescue Museum in Roanoake, Virginia. There, the Tree of Life memorializes those who have lost their lives in the unselfish performance of their duties saving others. Each spring the National EMS Memorial Service is held in Roanoke to honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for their fellow men and women.
The National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians, in cooperation with the National EMS Memorial Service Board and the To The Rescue Museum, offers the National EMS Memorial Service Web Site as a tribute to the men and women of American's EMS systems who have made the ultimate sacrifice and given their lives in the line of duty. This site lists the names and brief biographies of those individuals honored by the National EMS Memorial Service, and is an electronic mirror of the Tree of Life, the permanent memorial exhibit housed at the museum. The biographies presented there are the same ones that appear in the EMS Memorial Book.
The National EMS Memorial Bike Ride, Inc. honors Emergency Medical Services personnel by organizing and implementing long distance cycling events that memorialize and celebrate the lives of those who serve everyday, those who have become sick or injured while performing their duties, and those who have died in the line of duty.
In this space we specifically honor EMS providers from Kentucky who have died in the line of duty, have met the National EMS Memorial Service criteria, and have been approved by the National EMS Memorial Service Board for recognition.
Kentucky honorees, National EMS Memorial Service
- Roxanna Lynn Aldridge, Caldwell County Rescue Squad, Princeton, Kentucky. December 7, 1974 - November 23, 1994.
- Harold Bradley "Brad" Allgood , Mount Washington Volunteer Fire Department, Mount Washington, Kentucky. November 15, 1993. Honored 1997.
- Christa Dawn Burchett, City of Paintsville Fire-Rescue-EMS, Paintsville, Kentucky. January 22, 2008.
- Michael W. Carpenter, Hearne Ambulance Service, Stanton, Kentucky. December 2, 1994.
- John F. Compton , P & B Ambulance Service, Hager Hill, Kentucky. January 26, 1994.
- Brenda Cowan, Lexington Division of Fire and Emergency Services, Lexington, Kentucky. February 13, 2004
- James Earl Travis Fryman , MedCorp Inc., Carlisle, Kentucky. January 26, 2008
- Donald Greene, University of Kentucky Air Medical Service, Lexington, Kentucky. June 14, 1999.
- Brian Lewis Harden , University of Kentucky Air Medical Service, Lexington, Kentucky. June 14, 1999.
- John Hunter, Allen's Ambulance Service, Booneville, Kentucky. October 14, 2002.
- Brian Nathaniel Jennemann, Jefferson County EMS, Louisville, Kentucky. July 20, 2001.
- Billy Dean Johnson, Lifeline Ambulance Service, Bypro, Kentucky. December 7, 1991.
- Ernest L. Jones, Jr., University of Kentucky Air Medical Service, Lexington, Kentucky. June 14, 1999.
- Tom Long, Jr., USA MEDDAC, Fort Campbell, Kentucky. March 29, 1939 - October 8, 1998.
- James Everett Lowe, G&B Ambulance Service, Salyersville, Kentucky. September 14, 1992.
- Sandy Shepherd, G&B Ambulance Service, Salyersville, Kentucky. May 15, 2001.
- Armand E. Van Cleave, Shively Police Department, Shively, Kentucky. April 25, 1974.
- Johnnie Vanderpool, G&B Ambulance Service, Salyersville, Kentucky. September 14, 1992.
- Rick William Vinzant, City of Louisville EMS, Louisville, Kentucky. February 3, 1983.
- Monroe Watkins, Mountain Ambulance Service, Campton, Kentucky. June 22, 1991.
- Delmar Whitworth, Sr., Jefferson County Police Department, Louisville, Kentucky. May 24, 1960.
- Sheila Marie Zellers, University of Kentucky Air Medical Service, Lexington, Kentucky. June 14, 1999.
- Billie J. Grills, Carter County EMS, Grayson, Kentucky. November 11, 1986
- Chris Hall, Garrard County EMS, Lancaster, Kentucky. June 21, 2008
- Brad Haugh, Clinton-Hickman County EMS, Clinton, Kentucky. March 23, 2008
- Todd Rowe, Chief, Elkhorn City Fire and EMS, Elkhorn City, Kentucky. December 23, 2004.
- Robert G. Utley, Grayson Fire Department, Carter County EMS, Grayson, Kentucky. June 16, 2003